Many of you would notice that I’m passionately into the Sufferfest training videos. I had so so much interest that I joined the Sufferlandria National Team at the UCI World Cycling Center in Aigle, Switzerland for their first ever national training camp. The Sufferfest has been great for me, especially since Singapore lacks real climbs. So, I supplement in videos like the Hunted and Angels that simulate the big climbs of Europe.
The ultimate challenge of Sufferlandria is the Knights of Sufferlandria Challenge.
There are those who know how to suffer. And there are those who do not know how not to suffer. There are those who look pain in the face and laugh. There are those who can’t look pain in the face because pain is too scared to look up from the pounding it’s getting.
Yes, there are Sufferlandrians. And then there are Knights of Sufferlandria.
To be awarded the highest honor accorded by the Sufferlandrian Ministry of Madness, one must simply do 10 Sufferfest videos, back-to-back.
With the average video length in the Sufferfest for just over 50 minutes, the challenge would have me on the bike for 10 hours. That ride is a 10-hour pedal on a stationary bike, pushing the body beyond physical and mental limitations.
But of course, there are rules:
- Please see a doctor when you’re not right and are in desperate need of help.
- You must do 10 Sufferfest videos, back-to-back.
- You are allowed a 10-minute rest in-between videos. No more. But less is fine.
- You must publicly record and post the event somehow – e.g., power/hr files, photos, Facebook posts and/or tweets during the event to show progress.
- We do not set any kind of performance benchmark for your ride (i.e., how hard you have to go). However, we insist that you do a ride in which you Suffer and most importantly, of which you are immensely proud of yourself for having given all you can give and a bit more.
- You really should, although its not necessary, try to raise money for a good cause.
- One of the following must be true for each person who wants to be Officially Recognized as a Knight of Sufferlandria:
You have purchased the 10 videos you are using in your Knighthood attempt.
You have subscribed to The Sufferfest videos through our app or on Roku.
You are completing your Knighthood at one of our Officially Licensed Sufferfest Facilities as part of an Official Knighthood ride organized by the Facility and approved by The Sufferfest.
- Upon completion, fill out the form at the bottom of this page (don’t send us an email – we need the actual form).
Wait for The Minions to get back to you (normally takes a few days).
- If your ride is accepted, bask for eternity in the GLORY that comes from being a Knight of Sufferlandria. Never shall you not be the center of every single dinner conversation you attend from that point onwards.
So I’ve made plans to do my attempt at the challenge on Friday, July 3rd, at the Athlete Lab in Singapore. Starting 7 am, I will ride a mammoth effort throughout the day, finishing just after 5 pm with huge risks of exhaustion, cramps and a mountain of suffering. But, it’s worth it.
For my challenge, I will be raising money in conjunction with Cycosports for the orphanages on the Indonesian Island of Batam, a frequent cycling training and racing destination. So great behind a great cause, and a huge effort.
Here are the ten video stages ahead of me on Friday: